Laptops, mobile phones, wifi connection... All these technologies help us to communicate immediately and effectively. But do we know how to protect them from cyber-attacks? Discover in this post how to protect your SME's data and make all your communications secure.
The use of mobile devices increases productivity and facilitates mobility at work, but it is important to take into account some measures to avoid any loss of information. Today, solutions exist to establish security perimeters and to prevent unwelcome access or external attacks.
For example, for internet environments, both specific system security and specific application security are required. However, the movement of sensitive information over the internet connection increases the need to develop even more robust security solutions. To combat these risks, it is important to implement measures that protect the transmission of data while surfing the web.
Main risks of not protecting the connections and communications of our devices
Data is one of the sources of information held by companies, which is why it is vitally important to protect it. Secure communication solutions are necessary to prevent information leakage and minimise effects such as the following:
- Access by unauthorised users
In the absence of adequate protection systems, unauthorised users may gain access to resources and data that do not belong to them, thereby disrupting the confidentiality of the data.
- Alteration of data and resources
Confidential company resources, data and information may be altered, stolen or even destroyed by unauthorised users.
- Lack of availability
Data availability may also be affected, disrupting the proper functioning and access to resources when needed.
Now that you know the most common risks to which the information that is processed and stored on the different devices in your company is exposed, let's learn how to protect it.
How to make connections and communications more secure?
It is necessary to implement protection systems, as well as to use mechanisms that allow the localisation of these systems. On the other hand, it is also important to use secure channels, such as virtual private networks (VPNs), and to avoid using public networks, whose management is unknown.
To protect these elements and minimise exposure, you can take the following measures:
- Use digital certificates for SSL: they provide the basic principle for using the secure socket layer (SSL) and represent one of the most powerful means of authentication.
- Virtual private networks (VPNs) to protect private communications: this extension of a company's intranet helps to keep communications private and secure within the organisation.
- Installation of firewalls: software or hardware security systems that limit the flow of traffic based on a set of pre-established rules and criteria.
- P2P (peer-to-peer) control: functionalities that serve to control traffic over P2P networks. They control the type of restricted information, preventing access to certain users.
- UTM Appliance (Unified Threat Management): these security devices provide integrated functions such as: anti-virus, anti-spam, content filtering, information leak prevention, etc.
What Digital Kit services will help you make your communications secure?
The Kit Digital Programme offers a grant of up to €6.000 for SMEs and the self-employed to help you secure the connections between your employees' devices and your company. The amount of this grant is divided according to the number of employees your SME has:
- 0 < 3 employees: €125/user (up to 2 users)
- 3 < 9 employees: 125€/user (up to 9 users)
- 10 < 50 employees: 125€/user (up to 48 users)
The functionalities and services of this solution also include:
- SSL: provision of a secure socket layer protocol.
- End-to-end encryption: to prevent possible attacks, you will have encrypted communications all the way through.
- Access control: possibility of allowing only those devices authorised by you to connect to your unique private network.
- Initial configuration and security updates: initial configuration so that you can use it correctly, with malware signature updates, among others.
You already know the importance of secure communications for your SME and how to start doing it.
If you are thinking of implementing security policies, designed and adapted for your organisation, don't hesitate to consult the Digital Kit solutions and apply for the digital voucher!