If you are thinking of expanding your sales channels and betting on e-commerce, in this post we show you what you have to do to create an online store. Find out!
Did you know that the first e-commerce sale took place in 1994? Since then, the world has changed a lot, and the digitalization has promoted, among other things, that internet sales have increased exponentially.
Electronic commerce, also known as e-commerce, is the set of purchases and sales made over the Internet through digital platforms such as websites, applications, social networks or marketplaces.
Currently, it is a system that is fully integrated into the productive fabric of our country. In fact, according to a study, 66.6% of the Spanish population has made a purchase online.
Therefore, it is interesting that you value the expansion of your sales channels, betting on the digital sales channel that, as we explain below, requires you to take into account several aspects but that, undoubtedly, can grow your business.
How to create an online store step by step
If you want to know how to create your own online store, follow these steps!
- Plan its implementation: study how you want your online store to be. That is, choose whether you want to sell all your products or just some of them, whether you want to unify the inventory of your business or differentiate it from that of your physical store and, finally, whether you are going to use the same resources you use in person or less for its development. To do this, it is essential to identify your target audience and know what their tastes are. For example, if they prefer to come to your store because they live nearby or prefer home delivery if they live far away.
- Register your website and choose a host: choose the name that your website will have and that users will see when they enter and browse it. Also, choose a service provider with which to create the website and manage it. For the domain of your website, try to select a name that is the same or very similar to the name of your business so that customers can easily find you. And, as for the provider, you can easily locate many options to create and manage your site such as HubsSpot, or SquareSpace among others.
- Design your website: customize how you want users to see your website according to the features, functions and recommendations of the chosen provider. Many of them offer templates on which to work and edit, so that the work is simplified. In addition to proposing a design that attracts consumers' attention, try to offer useful tools - such as a product search engine - and make it accessible to everyone, for example, by choosing a font that is easy to read.
- Create content: feed your website with complementary options and services that, in addition to showing what your products and business are like, allow you to create added interest. Add images or 3D videos to make the content visual and write posts explaining the history of your business, how your products work, tips on how to use them or comparisons based on how customers will use them. By creating content, they will have the opportunity to get to know you, they will spend more time on your website, and it will rank better in search engines. All advantages!
- Configure the store with the catalog and the payment and shipping service: add a section in the web menu that is a direct access to the online store. In it, implement tools that allow your customers to perform the same actions they would do in your physical store. That is to say, to see the products, to pay and to receive their products. To do this, incorporate a payment gateway in your e-commerce and, very importantly, make sure that the data of people who buy are safe. In addition, you can also use QR codes in the online catalog to redirect customers to the product or service card.
Also, manage how you are going to ship. If you are going to take care of it yourself, create a database to record all orders. And, if you are going to hire a company to take care of it, contact them to provide them with the necessary information. You should also bear in mind that there are different types of stock: own stock (when you have your own warehouse), third party stock (consignment), and dropshipping, among others.
Remember that, in both cases, it is essential to ask customers for the necessary information, such as their name, address and contact telephone number, in addition to sending them an e-mail confirming their order.
Creating your own online store is a necessary process because a high percentage of people make purchases through online stores. Undoubtedly, it is something that will help you implement a new sales strategy, increase your sources of income, and offer your customers a practical way to purchase your products.
Are you ready to go digital? Go for an online store!