Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Analytics provide information for decision making in your SME. Learn everything you need to know with this reference document.
Globalisation and the improvement of production processes have brought to light new technologies that simplify and improve the efficiency of processes in all companies. Business Intelligence and Big Data are two key concepts that should be familiar to any company that is going to start a process of change towards digital.
Business Intelligence (BI) is a set of business management techniques that allow an organisation to make decisions based on data that have been processed by different tools to convert them into information. On the other hand, the concept of Big Data refers to a set of technologies and tools capable of capturing, storing and processing large amounts of data in time and at a cost that an organisation can afford. The main objective of these technologies is to improve decision-making and strategies in the activities carried out by companies thanks to the information they generate.
The objective of this reference document is to present in a clear and detailed way what Business Intelligence technology consists of hand to hand with Big Data, how they have emerged, and to describe the numerous advantages and benefits they have for companies. This document incorporates all the issues considered necessary related to this technology:
- The definition and main characteristics of Big Data from the hand of BI. The different types of data that can be handled, including structured, semi-structured and unstructured data. Development of certain concepts that are considered necessary for the knowledge of this technology.
- The implementation of BI in a company is becoming more and more common in different sectors, as it has numerous advantages and benefits for both large companies and SMEs. The paper discusses the different advantages and benefits it can bring to a company or organisation.
- As a new networked technology, there are numerous threats to be taken into account, so from a cyber-security point of view, these potential breaches will be explained.
- There are different technologies within the concepts of Business Intelligence and Big Data, which is why it is considered necessary to differentiate each one.
- It is important to know real examples and success stories where this tool has been tested and well implemented in order to be able to analyse the effect it provides to different types of companies and sectors.